Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Some Days Suck

Waa, waa, waa...I know, I know, we all have our problems. Some just seem worse than others. And some days just totally suck. I try very hard to stay positive and I try very hard to make sure the glass is always half full. But, having to be the bad guy, or in my case, the meanest mom in town, just blows.

Whoever said kids suck the life out of you, wasn't kidding. That's exactly what they do! They take your life and your wallet without a blink of an eye. After my son got through telling me I was a horrible mother because I wouldn't spend 99 cents on ANOTHER video game for him, my daughter came after me because I told her she couldn't go away for the weekend due to too much homework. My other son had to remind me that it was ALL my fault that no one was home to play. And my other two daughters were mad at me because I made them sit and eat a healthy meal before they could play with their friend. I'm so mean right???

I honestly don't EVER remember being that mean to my mom. Sure I remember being disappointed because I couldn't do EVERYTHING I wanted and being pissed off because I couldn't have the rainbow shirt ALL my friends had. But I never talked to my mom the way my kids talk to me. Like the world owes them. Like they deserve to have EVERYTHING. It's disgusting really. Deep down it makes me wonder if I did something to create this? Or can I blame all their friends that DO get everything and tease my kids because they don't have the latest and greatest new toy? Or can I blame all the ridiculous TV ads for pushing all the new technology my kids THINK they need? I don't know the answer. I really don't. What I do know is that I'm the meanest mom ever because I don't always give in.

As I listened to my friend yesterday, I am reminded that things can always be worse. She has to be one of the kindest, most giving people I know. She is one of those people who literally has nothing, yet would give you the shirt off her back if you needed it. She is one in a million. More people should be like her! My kids should be like her! I just feel for her. Like many families, they are struggling every month just to get by. She works and her husband works two jobs. Yet it's just not enough. She is absolutely someone I wish would win the lottery or fall into a pool of money. Why? Because it's people like her that need a little luck. Why is it that those who can potentially squander good fortune do? and those that truly need it are eternally grateful and use it wisely? Again, answers I can't wrap my head around. I just hate knowing that those of us who work really hard to keep what we have, get the short end of the stick. We have to beg, borrow and plead just to keep our heads afloat.

Recently, I have been slapped in the face with the reality of job hunting. It is clearly a world of who you know, not what you know. In the last month and a half I have applied to almost 50 jobs. No one has responded. I am thoroughly discouraged. So yes, I have to remind myself that things could be worse. Some days do suck. I am mean because I'm trying to make my kids appreciate what they already have. And I am reminded daily that with a little hope, patience, and luck things ALWAYS work out. Some times we just have to go through hell to get to happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment