Wednesday, November 17, 2010

On Strike

I am so mad at my kids that I have decided to go on strike. Part of me feels bad and the other part of me feels liberated. It's amazing how much time I had to myself this morning when I refused to make them breakfast or pack their lunches!

I've decided that a little tough love is in order around here. I'm tired of yelling, I'm tired of asking nicely, I'm tired of asking twenty times for the same thing to get done, I'm just plain tired! And being a single mom just adds to the frustration. Ooooo and do they ever know I'm mad! Kids are smarter than anyone ever gives them credit for. When I stop yelling and refuse to help them with even the littlest of tasks, they know. It's amazing how beds get made, laundry gets put away, teeth get brushed, milk gets into cereal without me even having to ask.

When I got "why won't you help us mommy? why are you so mad?" I simply replied "I'm tired of asking all of you to do things. If you don't have any respect for yourselves or your home, then I'm not helping you or doing anything more for you." A unanimous "oh" followed. Not that I expect them to be adults. They are still children after all. But the lack of respect for even the basic of needs and their overall sense of entitlement to everything makes me wonder "who are these kids???" Surely they are NOT from my gene pool!

Well, no more! I'm putting my foot down. It has to be a give and take from now on. If you want to go to dance, horseback riding, or hockey, then I guess you better put your clothes away when I ask. If you want me to make you dinner then I guess you better pick up your toys. If you want me to read you a story then I guess you should shower when I ask. THE FIRST TIME! Schools have a no tolerance policy and they follow the rules there. Time to start instilling them at home. I am Mama and I have spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment