Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Oh Buddah

I happen to catch the Doctor Oz show yesterday while I was getting supper ready for the kids. I have to say it's been on my mind since then. Honestly, I like this guy. He seems to know what he's talking about and he's compassionate about solving even the most intimate medical issues.

Yesterday he was discussing women over 40 and their unwanted, embarrassing belly fat. I've got to admit, I'm one of these women. It doesn't matter how much we exercise, the belly remains. There were woman who named their belly, woman who religiously exercised, vigorously dieted, went under the knife, women who had had children, woman who hadn't, and so on. The result was the same. Shame, disgust and frustration.

I remember one mom saying to me that she was proud of her stretch marks. It proved that she was woman enough to handle pregnancy. At the time I thought good for her, but definitely NOT for me. I hated my belly, and still do. My OB/GYN calls it twin skin. I gave him the finger at that comment. God love the man, but really?! UGH!

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a little gal. I run a lot, I eat fairly healthy, and have a small addiction to sweets (ok LARGE, but who's counting?!). It doesn't matter what I do, the skin is still there, and unless I'm laying down, I keep that part of my body covered. I did venture to "try" a bikini for the first time in 20 years, last year. My man thought I looked great! I was self conscious and forever wrapping up any time I left my beach chair. Here's the kicker! I'm more embarrassed about my sagging belly than my tiny boobs! You'd think at my age neither would matter. And trust me, I could care less what other people think. It's the pressure and the judgement we place on ourselves that is the harshest and most damaging. We are our own worst enemies at any given time.

Dr. Oz offered some suggestions that I absolutely plan on trying. But I'm not thoroughly convinced it's going to make my belly "look" any different. Every time I'm bloated at least one of my children ask if I'm having another baby. Since I can't give them the finger, I just give them a dirty look. I'm not against trying something new, I'm not against it at all. In fact, I read a quote today that I considered a sign that I should without a doubt try the Dr. Oz method. "Progress is impossible with out change and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything."- George Bernard Shaw

Wisdom is knowledge. In this case, I'm hoping knowledge brings on a positive change. If not, we can all thank God for the woman who invented Spanx!!!

1 comment: