Tuesday, January 3, 2012

It's Over

Hallelujah!!!!! Woo Hoo....oh wait! No it isn't over! Damn! 23 birthdays in January to go. Obviously there were a lot of busy people in March. Well that certainly gives a new meaning to spring fever. UGH!!!

I have said before that I hate the holidays. I hate after the holidays even more. The bills pile in, the weight is still lingering, I have detox shakes, AND way too many birthdays to STILL celebrate. And it's not like I can just buy a quick card or send a Happy Birthday email. NOOOOOOO, that would be cheap and easy. Everyone is a family member or really good friend that needs something. It just NEVER seems to end.

This year, I made a few attainable New Years resolutions. Mind you I do this every year. But, this year the difference is the word "attainable". I signed up for two races. One in May and one in September. Those will help with the lingering weight issue. The detox shakes may also subside with the help of the training. Though the jury is still out on that. After all, I do have five kids with homework. It's the bills I'm more concerned about. I decided that I truly do need to cut back. I really don't need my toes and nails done. I like it, but don't need it. I really don't need that $7 Meijer t-shirt. I want it, but don't need it. And, my kids don't need seven gifts, or whatever the hell I buy, EACH for their birthdays. Christmas was just here for crying out loud!

I think it's just going to boil down to little changes. Little changes that effect the big picture. A new year always brings hope for big changes. But the reality is we all start off with grandiose plans and then get upset because at some point we fall short. Being a goal setter by trait, I'm pretty good about following through. But like everyone, some times I need a little extra motivation. That light at the end of the tunnel. I can see it in the distance, and feel like I'm getting closer, I just need to figure out a way to pull all of it together and make it shine brighter.

Little changes, one by one, all add up in the end. I will not let negative people tell me I can't do something. I will not be upset that I can't have something I long for. I will not buy my kids useless trinkets just to ward off a tantrum. I will not take the easy road when I'm exhausted. And I will not take for granted all the wonderful things that are right in front of me. Yes, I will still yell at my kids to get their stuff on and get in the car. Yes, I will still be upset when they hate my cooking. Yes, I will still go crazy when they make a mess and refuse to clean it up. And, yes I will absolutely love them for reminding me that they are their own unique person that keeps me on my toes day and night. I wouldn't trade a single argument in the world. Let's face it, that's why a mom invented alcohol!

Bring on the new year! I don't know how good it will be. But, I will take it in stride, make my little changes, reach my attainable goals, and be thankful for all that I have. My girlfriend keeps reminding me that every day is a gift. Now, if I could just figure out how to wrap it with a big bow, I'd save myself a lot of time and money! Hey! is that the easy road since I'm completely exhausted??? I better eat something and have a drink to think about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment