Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Money, Money, Money

The birthdays are FINALLY over for a while. Thank goodness! Now I can try to put a band aide on my bleeding credit card. It's absolutely amazing to me how the spending never stops. Something else always comes up. Scientist truly need to get the lead out and find a cure for ALL diseases AND develop a real live money tree. Can you imagine? "Mom, I need gas money!" "Oh sure, honey. Just go grab a $20 off the tree." I hope I live long enough to see both!

For their birthday, my girls wanted to get their ears pierced. In my infinite wisdom I think, "this is a great 'cheap' birthday gift". Not so much. I realize of course that I have twins. What I always fail to remember is that twins means two. Which means double the cost, double the price, double the crap. My cheap idea, or their idea, cost me close to $200 to even get out of the store. That did not include lunch afterward. Granted it was a great day and worth every penny. When the bill comes I may have other feelings.

I suppose I didn't need to spend quite so much. But these are my babies, and I felt so guilty for the pain tears that followed the actual piercing, that I had a hard time saying no. I was remembering back to the tears of my oldest when she got hers done. She was about to chicken out when I told her, "Honey, they got everything out and ready. You can't say no now. Let them just do one ear. If you don't like it, we can go home." Seriously?! One ear?! Now you know I wasn't going to let them do just one ear!!!! Oh the motherly guilt! Nothing ten pairs of earrings, a plastic cell phone that holds lip gloss, and a butterfly jewelry holder can't fix.

You can only imagine my guilt when double the tears fell. Buy the whole store girls, mommy is evil for letting that mean girl stab you! UGH! By the time we left the store, the pain was forgotten and the loot was a plenty. Leave it to my mother to remind me that ear piercing was FREE when I got it done. Something tells me that there was no way we left the store with "free" earrings 30 some years ago... Wait, 12 years ago. I'm ONLY 22. I tend to forget that some days.

The problem with all this piercing business is that my eight year old son now wants his done. Absolutely NOT. First of all, I can't afford it. And second of all, I told him it was inappropriate for little boys to have that done. Not to mention the fact that I'm not sure who would die first, me or my son, at the hands of my ex. I told said child not to EVER repeat what I was about to say, but if he just happen to come home one day with one, when he was 18, I would not be upset. This was all contingent on the fact that he owned his own home at the time. Considering he wants to own a bank when he "grows up" may make all of this a possibility and you may actually see me eat my own words. That would be my luck!

No more piercing, no more money, no more, no more, no more. I'm out of all of it. Including my mind. Child labor laws mean nothing in this house. These kids have to get to work! After all, mommy needs a pedicure so that I have good feet to keep running after the little heathens! And yes, it does always come back to me. Happy mommy equals happy children.

No comments:

Post a Comment