Friday, January 6, 2012

My How Times Have Changed...


Just when I think I've seen it all, I am met with yet another ridiculous sight. There are so many wrong things about this ad that I don't even know where to begin. Or maybe I just have a twisted sense of humor. Either way, if you can enlarge this picture and read the whole ad, it will be worth every bit of the effort.

There are few talents I hold. One of which seems to be spotting a really good piece of furniture. Gift or curse is still debatable. When my boyfriends parents decided to downsize their home to an apartment this past month, they decided a few things had to go. One item stood out that I absolutely fell in love with and asked for. It is a beautiful dresser I plan on re-finishing and giving to my boys. Though their worthiness of such a fine piece is still up in the air.

I brought the drawers home this past week. Each of the drawers was lined with old newspapers. I'm guessing this ad was from 1953 since some of the other pages showed that date. Let me get right to the point...WTF?! Who invented an apron that blows up? And who let that woman blow it and have her picture taken? Seriously?! Upon further reading I discovered that it WASN'T a man, but another "housewife". Are you kidding me?! If my neighbor came to me with this idea, I'd tell her she was crazier than she already is! "Gadgets get trickier all the time." Really?! First of all, is this really a gadget? And second, since when is laundry not "uncomfortably heavy" when you carry it? If this woman wanted to make a tricky gadget to make "washday" better, she should have thought to add a vibrator to the apron! I bet there wouldn't be a single woman out there complaining of doing laundry EVER again!

"Inflate the canvas apron until it stands out stiffly..." Come on! Maybe I just have a dirty mind, but this is too much! A woman may have invented this product, but a man definitely wrote the ad. In 1953 I'm pretty sure NO ONE saw the sexual undertones in this. Or maybe they did. Who knows! But I'd love to know how many of these sold. I wonder if Joyce Wojcik is still alive, if she still wears an apron to do her wash, and if she made a fortune off this idea. I might have to do a little investigating into this. I guess you never know right? I mean look at the paperclip! People laughed at that too! Now you can't ever find one when you need one. "Note the handy pocket for storing clothespins." Really?! How about note the handy pocket in my coat, my pants, my purse, and my sweater for holding ALL the crap my kids make me carry.

So much about this ad is wrong. If you want to get technical and nitpick, there's the fact that it's a woman doing the wash, a woman wearing an apron, a woman wearing a dress to hang laundry, and let's not forget the wording of the ad itself. All that aside, I choose to see the childish humor in it instead. If you can't do that, then you haven't hung out with your kids enough. I live in a house where I am reminded DAILY that a fart is ALWAYS funny! As an adult, so are sexual innuendos! If this ad didn't make you laugh today, the least it should do is make you smile... a little wicked one at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment