Monday, January 24, 2011

Multiple Children


Believe it or not, there was a time when I NEVER wanted kids. They made me nervous and irritated. I worked in a toy store when I was sixteen. Need I say more? It wasn't until I was 27 that I changed my mind. Four years later, I had my first. Then they kept coming.

I never do anything small. I always push the envelope and go big. Why not? You are supposed to get the most out of life, and I fully intend to do that.

This weekend was my weekend with the kids. When they left for school Friday I was SO mad at all of them. I told myself I was never going to do anything fun or nice for them again. I'm a sucker, pure and simple. And, I love my kids. I chalk it off to my usual morning tyrants. By the afternoon, I've calmed down, and think, "wow, I really overreacted this morning." So what to do to fix it? I decided I'd make pizza and we'd have a picnic on the floor. When they got home, they thought I was the coolest mom ever. Problem solved.

By Saturday, everyone hated me again, and couldn't wait to get away from me. Three of them decided to go to friends and spend the night. I was left with my two little ones. Being as it was the night before their birthday, I was kind of feeling nostalgic. It was nice just the three of us. Kind of like the night before they were born. Minus the panicked ex-husband, hysterical mother, and ten different nurses monitoring me every half hour.

When I taught my moms exercise classes, all the moms used to say, "I don't know how you do it! I can't even handle one!" My response was always the same, "One is VERY hard! You are the sole entertainment source. With multiple kids they entertain one another." I have to be honest, going from five down to two was like heaven! They listened, I didn't have to yell, and I once again believed there was a God!

Of course you realize it all came to a screeching halt the minute they all came home, the ex and his mother came for the birthday celebration, and the chaos of present opening and cake induced sugar highs prevailed. I no longer need to wonder why I'm crazy. I just know.

No comments:

Post a Comment