Monday, January 31, 2011

Typical Mom Cave In


I have always prided myself on being very strong willed. And technically I am. When I want something there is absolutely NO stopping me. In fact as much as it drives me nuts, my children's constant badgering when they want something, is an obvious genetic trait. I really can't fault them.

I held out three months. I thought for sure I'd make it longer. Apparently everyone else knew and was surprised I had made it that long. Saturday afternoon I welcomed a two year old Redbone Coonhound into our lives. There was only a few people who knew she was coming. We met her floppy eared, droopy faced, paranoid of adults self on Wednesday. To make a long story short, her current owner couldn't keep her due to subdivision laws, the owner before that couldn't keep her because they were moving to a condo that didn't allow animals, and since I'm a total sap for all of that, I went home and did some research on that breed. Not a single thing that I read Wednesday night turned me away. EVERYTHING was positive about this type of dog. Including the ultimate: excellent with children.

I called the vet Thursday morning and asked their opinion. Again, nothing but praise for the breed. By Thursday afternoon I had called the lady and made arrangements to pick her up Saturday afternoon. She wasn't here five minutes and moved right in. Her and the cat got along, she hasn't barked once, she went for a six mile run with me and never even broke a sweat, and most importantly, I completely surprised my kids Sunday when they came home from their dads. It was instant love.

I hope over time her nerves will calm and she'll trust us to know that she's here for the long haul. This is her last home and hopefully the best. Welcome home Daisy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment