Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Art


Most kids LOVE school projects. As a parent they do absolutely NOTHING but irritate me to no end. For several reasons!!! First and foremost I have to spend time, and usually money, gathering ALL the necessary items for the project. Second, I have to argue with a child who doesn't "understand" how to do the said project. And last but certainly NOT least, comes the underlying Parent Competition to have the best, most awesome project.

You know what I say to that? HELL NO!!! I went to school for sixteen plus years. I did my time. I make my kids responsible for their own work. Regardless of what they turn in. If they scratch something out, if the label is crooked, if there's too much glue, if something isn't spelled right, whatever. It is their project, their responsibility, and their sense of pride that hands it in. I love to watch my kids create stuff. And no it's not by any mean perfect. But it's theirs, they own it. And when it comes home, I proudly display it ALL over my house!

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I love that! Great way for them to take ownership in their creations.

    ReplyDelete