Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I'm Not 80!!!

Let's just set the tone here. Ever since I was a child, shopping with my mother has been a nightmare. My WHOLE life she's tried to dress me as though I'm an 80 year old woman. All my friends will surely vouch for this. Pictures from my past still surface to haunt me. In fact I finally got so fed up with it, I insisted my parents let me get a job so I could buy my own clothes. It was a tough battle, but I finally won. Now mind you I still was no fashion expert when I made the change, but at least I no longer looked like an old lady. To this day, I still can't shop with my mother AND the clothes that she does buy me clearly DO NOT match my taste.

My mother I can deal with. I can flat out tell her "No ma, I can't. You wear it." But the kicker comes when my ex's mother tries to give me her 92 year old dead mother's clothes. Honestly, it renders me speechless. In fact I'm still shaking my head. When my 9 year old said "oh I like that!" I had immediate flashbacks to my youth! I made a vow right that second my children would NOT suffer my fate. I politely said "honey I think these would be better for some family that doesn't have a lot of clothes." I put them in the donation bag, and called it a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment