Monday, January 25, 2010

Mom Taxi

My friend got me a mug one time that said "I don't remember signing up for this". Wildly appropriate for shuffling kids EVERYWHERE! Every year it gets a little bit trickier too. A different sport, a different school, a different friend, a different store and on and on and on. I don't remember my parents shuffling me everywhere. But I'm sure they did. In fact I remember in high school the swim coach thought we'd be a better team if we practiced in the morning and in the afternoon. My mother lugged my tired crabby hinny to school at 5am every morning. I think she was relieved when I told the coach, I'm not going to the Olympics this is a waste of my time.

It's such a catch 22. You want your kids to grow up and be independent, yet you want them to stay little too. And God help us when they want to drive! I have to admit, that is one of my biggest fears. I've seen my kids drive their mini Corvette. It's not pretty! They speed down the driveway, crash into trees and other mini cars, talk to their friends across the road, play with the radio and the lights; anything but pay attention to driving. All I can do is shake my head and pray this isn't a glimpse of the future! Maybe being a mom taxi isn't all that bad! If I could just find a way to make it cool when they get to middle school and high school I'd be the envy of moms everywhere! I know, such the dreamer sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment